Cisco History – Cisco Systems History and Trivia | Brand History and Trivia
Cisco History – Cisco Systems, Inc. Is an MNC and is best known for its designs in the field of Electronics and specially telecommunications with revenue of US $40 billion annually (in 2010).
Cisco Founders: Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner.
Cisco Ticker: NASDAQ: CSCO
Cisco Headquarters: San Jose, California.
Cisco Logo: The Cisco logo is in keeping with the company’s original formation, San Francisco – and it’s the Golden Gate Bridge, which is also known as the “gate to the Pacific,” in hope that this springs eternal success.
1. Empowering the Internet Generation.
2. This Is The Power Of The Network Now.
3. Welcome to the Human network – Cisco wanted to make itself a household name and thus started the “Welcome to the Human Network” campaign. It focuses on the company’s role in connecting people together through what it calls the “Human Network.
4. Cisco’s long-time innovation strategy has been to ‘Build, Buy And Partner’.
In 1984, married couple Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner, two computer science professionals based out of Stanford University, created the Cisco Corporation.
The couple wanted to exchange emails as their offices were located in different buildings. But due to lack of common standard protocols and other technological shortcomings, it was impossible to do so. They thus came up with the multi-protocol router which and Cisco was born.
Linksys by Cisco, commonly known as Linksys, is a brand of home and small office networking products now produced by Cisco Systems, though once a separate company founded in 1995 before being acquired by Cisco in 2003. Products currently and previously sold under the Linksys brand name include broadband and wireless routers, consumer and small business grade Ethernet switching, VoIP equipment, wireless internet video camera, AV products, network storage systems, and other products.
- The name “Cisco” is short for the city name San Francisco.
- The multiple-protocol router software was originally written by William Yeager. He later left Cisco and joined Sun Microsystems.
- On August 28, 1990, Lerner was fired. Consequently, her husband Bosack also resigned.
- They left with stock shares valued at $170 million. The couple donated 70% of the amount to charity.
- Len Bosack later started the telecom equipment company called XKL.
- Lerner posed naked on horseback for Forbes to promote animal rights in 1997.
- Cisco’s first acquisition came in 1993, with the purchase of Crescendo Communications. It has bought 140 companies since then. Cisco calls its strategy ‘Build, Buy And Partner’.
- An expenditure of $1 billion was utilized to establish its Globalization Centre East in Bangalore. It is planning to have 20% of Cisco’s leaders based there.
- ‘Something Ventured’ was a documentary which showcased the company and its history and was premiered in 2011.
“Welcome to the Human Network” was a great change in company’s advertising campaign and it also featured actress Ellen Page in them. In one of the advertisements school kids are able to virtually visit China.