Dolce & Gabbana
–is an Italian luxury fashion house.
Founders: Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana
Brands: Dolce&Gabbana, D&G
History: The Dolce & Gabbana brand made its debut in 1985 at a fashion show in Milan, Italy. The D&G Brand, the young and contemporary line of clothing, was started in January 1994. In 2004, Dolce & Gabbana signed an agreement with A.C. Milan for the creation of the team’s uniforms.
- Dolce&Gabbana (spelled without spaces, unlike the name of the company) specializes in luxury items influenced more by designers and is more formal and ‘timeless’, responding to long-term trends rather than seasonal changes.
- D&G is a casual line that follows an urban inspiration. It is the younger, more flamboyant line of the brand.
- Dolce & Gabbana was publicly criticized by Britain’s advertising watchdog Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) in January 2007, for an advertising campaign showing models brandishing knives.
- An advertisement was pulled by Dolce & Gabbana that showed a man holding a woman to the ground by her wrists while a group of men looked on, after complaints from consumers’ groups. The campaign was branded illegal and humiliating to women.
- In June 2006, Motorola and Dolce&Gabbana unveiled the MOTORAZR V3i Dolce&Gabbana, a luxurious version of the device in gold and silver, with an engraved Dolce&Gabbana logo.