– is a French company which owns the high-fashion clothing producer and retailer ChristianDior Couture.
Founder: Christian Dior
Christian Dior History
On 16 December 1946 Dior founded his fashion house, backed by Marcel Boussac, a cotton-fabric magnate. On 12 February 1947, Dior launched his first fashion collection for Spring-Summer 1947.CD Parfums was established later in the year. Dior died in 1957. Subsequently, Yves Saint Laurent was made Artistic Director. Bernard Arnault and his investment group purchased the company for “one symbolic franc” in December 1984.
- The actual name of the line of CD’s first collection, presented in early 1947, was Corolle (literally the botanical term corolla or circlet of flower petals in English), but the phrase New Look was coined for it by Carmel Snow, the editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar.
- The company holds 42% of LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury goods firm.
- On 23 February 2011, scandal arose when head designer John Galliano was accused of making anti-semitic comments after drinking in Paris. Footage was released of the designer under the influence of alcohol saying “I love Hitler” and “People like you would be dead today. Your mothers, your forefathers would be fucking gassed and dead” to a Jewish woman. On 1 March 2011, Christian Dior officially announced that it had fired Galliano amidst the controversy.
- In 1960, Saint Laurent was called up to join the French army which forced him to leave the House of Dior.
- Miss Dior parfum was named after Catherine Dior (CD’s sister).