–is a line of construction toys . The company’s flagship product consists of colorful interlocking plastic bricks and an accompanying array of gears, minifigures and various other parts. Founder: Ole Kirk Christiansen, 1934.
The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen, a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932. It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947.
- The company is named after the Danish phrase leg godt, which means “play well“.
- The Group’s motto is det bedste er ikke for godt which means roughly ‘only the best is good enough‘ (more literally ‘the best is never too good’). This motto was created by Ole Kirk to encourage his employees never to skimp on quality, a value he believed in strongly.
- Manufacturing of these bricks occurs at a number of locations around the world. Molding is done in Billund, Denmark, Nyíregyháza, Hungary and Monterrey, Mexico. Brick decorations and packaging is done at plants in Denmark, Hungary, Mexico and Kladno in the Czech Republic.
- According to an article in BusinessWeek in 2006, the company could be considered the World’s No. 1 tire manufacturer; the factory produces about 306 million tiny rubber tires a year
- There are also sets designed to appeal to young girls such as the Belville and Clikits lines which consists of small interlocking parts that are meant to encourage creativity and arts and crafts.
- Bionicle is a line of toys that is marketed towards those in the 7–16 year-old age range
- The group’s Duplo product line, introduced in 1969, is a range of simple blocks which measure twice the width, height and depth of standard blocks, and are aimed at younger children.
- Fabuland’ ran from 1979 to 1989. The more advanced ‘ Technic’ was launched in 1977. ‘ Primo‘ is a line of blocks by the company for very young children that ran between 2004 and 2006. In 1995 ‘ Baby‘ was launched for babies
- One of the largest Lego sets ever commercially produced is a minifig-scaled edition of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon
- My Lego Network is a social networking site that involves items, blueprints, ranks, badges which are earned for completing certain tasks, trading and trophies called masterpieces which allow users to progress to go to the next rank.
- Merlin Entertainments operates four Legoland amusement parks, the original in Billund, Denmark, the second in Windsor, England, the third in Günzburg, Germany, the fourth in Carlsbad, California, and the fifth is due to open in Florida.
- Since 1993 LEGOwear Clothes have been produced and marketed by a Danish company called Kabooki under license from Lego Group. The clothes are for boys and girls from 0–12 years old and the partnership also ties in with other products such as Bionicle
- Lego Games launched in 2009–2010, and is a series of themed board games designed by Cephas Howard and Reiner Knizia