-A makeup brand sold worldwide and owned by L’Oreal.
T.L Williams (Tom Lyle Williams) created the Maybelline Company in 1915. T.L William noticed his sister applying a mixture of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and burnt coal to her lashes to give them a fuller look. Hence he named the company after his sister Maybel from he originally received the idea of producing and selling an easy to use product to darken eyelashes. The brand name is a combination of Maybel and Vaseline.
In 1917, the company launched its first product Cake Mascara. Initially it was advertised and sold exclusively via mail. As it grew popular, women started to ask for it at drug stores. In the 1930’s ,they started making eyebrow pencils and eye shadows. It was later in the 1970’s that they branched into lips, nails and face.
1) The advertising tagline “Maybe she’s born with it , Maybe it’s Maybeline” was created in 1991. It is still a great success. This tagline is recognized by people all over the world.
2) The company was acquired by L’Oreal in 1996.
3) Their products are endorsed by supermodels Christy Turlington, Josie Maran, Erin Wasson, and Adriana Lima among others.
4) It entered the Indian Market in 1998.
5) Sheetal Mallar was one of the first Indian Models who endorsed Maybelline.
6) Model Diana Penty is currently the spokesperson of the Indian subsidiary. Actress Deepika Padukone also endorsed their brand
Maybelline is a very popular make-up brand in the world