– is a a brand from Swatch group involved in production of wide range of Swiss watches and related accessories
SIX Ticker: UHR
Subsidiaries & Brands: The group’s acquisition of various Swiss brands has made it the world’s largest watch maker. Some of the big brands owned by the group are Longines, Omega, Breguet, Tissot, Blancpain, Flik Flak, Glashütte Original, Certina, Tiffany & Co., Calvin Klein, Rado, Mido, Pierre Balmain, Hamilton.
The brand “Swatch“ watches was first launched in 1983 by the then Swiss Watch Manufacturer ETA SA, under the CEO Dr. Ernst Thomke. ETA SA, along with other brands(see subsidiaries & Brands) was then takem over by Nicolas G. Hayek forming a consolidated conglomerate -SMH in 1986. SMH later was changed to ‘Swatch Group” in 1998
- The name is a contraction of “Second Watch” which was coined by Nic Hayek, and not Swiss Watch as presumed
- Originals, Irony, Skin, Beat, Bijoux are the 5 products range from Swatch.
- The ‘SKIN’ is listed in Guinness book of World records for manufacturing the thinnest plastic watch, with thickness of just 3.9 mm.
- It is the official timekeeper Red Bull X-Fighters and BMX world championships motorbike competitions.
- The company also invented the “Swatch Internet Time“, where 1000 “beats” comprises 1 day in a single worldwide timezone.
Time is what you make of it; You have a second home, why not a second watch?; Fashion that ticks are the Swatch taglines and is definitely one of the most recognized Brands in the world