– is a supplier of office products and provides many services. The company’s selection of brand name office supplies includes business machines, computers, computer software and office furniture, while its business services encompass copying, printing, document reproduction, shipping, and computer setup and repair
Office Depot History
Office Depot was founded in March 1986 by the late F. Patrick Sher, the former chairman and chief executive officer, Dougherty, president, and Jack Kopkin, executive vice president. In 1987 Sher dies of leukemia and is succeeded as CEO by David Fuente.
Office Depot Trivia
- It is headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida.
- As of 2011, Office Depot is the second largest retailer of office supplies, behind Staples.
- The founders were formerly associated with Home-owner’s Warehouse, the home improvement company that Sher sold to Service Merchandise in 1983 and renamed Mr. HOW Warehouse
- The catalog showroom chain eventually sold off the Mr. HOW units to a variety of buyers, including Builders Square, the home center warehouse subsidiary of K mart Corp.
- Beginning in 2004, then CEO Bruce Nelson introduced its new retail format dubbed M2.
- On June 1, 2006, the company launched the Worklife Rewards program, which combined several benefits of the former “Advantage Reward” and Star Teacher programs
- The 5% Back To Schools Program contributes a portion of a purchase to a local school as a store credit that the school may use to purchase their merchandise. Schools must register with the program to receive the store credit.
Office Depot has structured its environmental strategy around three concepts – Buying Green, Being Green and Selling Green and is one of the Greenest Brands in the World .