is a global alcoholic beverages company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the world’s largest producer of spirits and a major producer of beer and wine
Was formed in 1997 from the merger of Guinness and Grand Metropolitan. The creation was driven by the two executives Anthony Greener and Philip Yea at Guinness plus George Bull and John McGrath of Grand Metropolitan.
- Diageo is believed to be stand for Dia (Day) + Geo (Earth)
- In 2002, the company sold the Burger King fast food (later sold to 3G Capital) restaurant chain to a consortium led by US firm Texas Pacific for $1.5 billion
- It also owned Pillsbury until 2000 when it was sold to General Mills
- In December 2003, the company provoked controversy over its decision to change its Cardhu brand Scotch whisky from a single malt to a vatted malt whilst retaining the original name and bottle style
- It is the world’s biggest whisky producer with 28 malt distilleries and two grain distilleries.
- It also distributes Unicum, its lighter-bodied variant Zwack and Jose Cuervo tequila products in North America.
- Company owns the Gleneagles Hotel and a 34% stake in the Moet Hennessy drinks division of French luxury goods company LVMH
- It has created “The Striding Man Society” which is a members club for Johnnie Walker drinkers