-A spirits company headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda and one of the most recognizable Brands in the world
Brands: Martini & Rossi, Dewar’s Scotch, Bombay Sapphire, Grey Goose, 42 Below
Founder: Don Facundo Bacardi Masso, in 1862
Don Facundo, a Spanish immigrant to Cuba, had discover a technique to purify rum, which was hitherto considered as a cheap drink, using charcoal. In 1862, he along with his brother Jose set up a shop in Santiago de Cuba distillery.
- As many of Santiago’s resident couldn’t read, Don’s wife Dona Amalia suggested using a symbol to represent his product.
- The building housing the first distillery had a large number of fruit bats living under the roof of the distillery, which led to a Bat device as the logo of the company and Don’s product soon became popular as ‘el ron del murcielago’ or ‘the rum of the bat’.
- Facundo Jr planted a coconut tree which grew along with the business and became a symbol of the family and its spirit operations.
- Emilio , Don’s son, was imprisoned during Cubar War of independence. After the war ended, he was made the mayor of Santiago in 1899
- “The Original Cuba Libre” and the Daiquiri were both born with their rum.
- Ernest Hemingway ordered his daiquiris with Bcardi White Label rum and mentions Hatuey beer in three of his works: For Whom the Bell Tolls, To Have and Have Not and The Old Man and the Sea.
BACARDI is the world’s leading producer of rum