Brand: Old Spice
What is Old Spice: Old spice is a leading American brand of male grooming products, currently under Procter & Gamble’s stable.
Founder: William Lightfoot Schultz
Old Spice History
The Shulton Company, original producer of Old Spice, was founded in 1934 by William Lightfoot Schultz. Their product was a fragrance called Early American for women, introduced in 1937. For men followed in 1938.
Old Spice Trivia:
- Sailing ships, in particular were used as a trademark. The original ships used on the packaging were the Grand Turk and the Friendship.
- P&G purchased Old Spice from the Shulton Company in June 1990.
- The clipper ship was replaced by the yacht logo in February 1992.
- Actor Bruce Campbell has appeared as a parody of himself in a series of commercials for their product line.Actor Neil Patrick Harris has appeared in TV commercials as a parody of his Doogie Howser, M.D. character
- Their Classic shower gel is sold using the slogan “If your grandfather hadn’t worn it, you wouldn’t exist.”.
- The Man Your Man Could Smell Like is a television advertising campaign created by ad agency Wieden+Kennedy to market their brand of shower gel. The original ad features actor Isaiah Mustafa reciting a quick monologue about how “anything is possible” if a man uses Old Spice.
- Another famous campaign is the Old Spice ‘Swaggerize Me’