Brand : ESPN
What is ESPN: The Entertainment Sports Programming Network (ESPN)is an US cable TV network focusing on sports programming.
Founders: Bill Rasmussen, Scott Rasmussen, Stuart Evey.
ESPN was launched by Bill Rasmussen, his son Scott Rasmussen, Getty Oil executive Stuart Evey on September 7, 1979, under the direction of Chet Simmons, the network’s President and CEO.
- Getty Oil company provided the initial funding.
- ESPN was founded after both Bill and Scott were fired from their respective jobs in 1977.
- In 1984, ABC made a deal with Getty Oil to acquire ESPN. ABC retained an 80% share, and sold 20% to Nabisco. The Nabisco shares were later sold to Hearst Corporation, which still holds a 20% stake today. In 1986, ABC was purchased for $3.5 billion by Capital Cities Communications. In 1996, The Walt Disney Company purchased Capital Cities/ABC for $19 billion and picked up an 80% stake in ESPN at that time.
- Shows: SportsCentre (signature show), Highlight Express, The Beat, Jim Rome is Burning, Around the horn, Pardon the Interruption (PTI), Baseball tonight, Scott Van Pelt Show.
- The name of the channel was changed to match the name on the letterheads, which were printed with a typo.
- ESPN acquired cricinfo.com in 2007