What is Target: Is an American retailing company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the second-largest discount retailer in the United States, behind Wal-Mart
Founder: George Dayton
In 1876, George Dayton constructed a six-story building in downtown Minneapolis and convinced Reuben Simon Goodfellow Company to move its Good fellows department store into the location. Goodfellow retired and sold his interest in the store to Dayton. The store’s name was changed to the Dayton Dry Goods Company in 1903
The Company was founded in 1902 as the Dayton Dry Goods Company, though its first Target store was opened in 1962 in nearby Roseville, Minnesota.
1. In 1956, the Dayton Company opened Southdale, the world’s first fully-enclosed two-level shopping center in the Minneapolis suburb of Edina, Minnesota
2. The name “Target” originated from Dayton’s publicity director, Stewart K. Widdess, and was intended to prevent consumers from associating the new discount store chain with the department store
3. They attempted to compete against other apparel specialty stores such as GAP by offering private label apparel such as its Merona brand.
4. SuperTis a chain of hypermarkets that are about 174,000 sq ft (16,200 m2) and feature double entrances on one-story stores. The first SuperTarget opened in Omaha, Nebraska in 1995.
5. Bullseye, a miniature Bull Terrier is their mascot !