Brand: Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces
What is Taj: Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces is the largest chain of luxury, leisure and business class hotels in India and abroad owned by the Tata group.
Subsidiaries & Brands: Taj has numerous subsidiaries and brands divided under luxury, leisure and business categories. The brand ‘Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces’ however is managed under the parent name ‘The Indian hotel company Ltd’.
The major brands of IHCL are- Taj Mahal hotels, Vivanta by Taj (Taj Residency is now Vivanta), Taj palace hotels, the Gateway Hotels, Taj air being their private air services, Ginger hotels are budget hotels.
History: Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata founded the first Taj property Taj Mahal Palace hotel in Colaba, Bombay when he was denied entry into the ‘Watson Hotel’ by the British which said ‘Dogs and Indians are not allowed’ and this flagship hotel was started in order to avenge the whites in 1903.
1. Taj Mahal palace, Mumbai was the first in India to have electric light as well as install and operate a steam elevator.
2. The Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, which stands opposite the Gateway of India, Mumbai, was constructed before the Gateway of India itself. This was also the centrepiece of the 26/11 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India.
3. Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur is one of the most photographed hotels in the world.
4. Taj hotel’s guest rewards program for stay is the Taj Innercircle while its dining loyalty program is called the Taj Epicure plan and Epicure Plus.
5. The Taj Innercircle and Taj Epicure card is co-branded with Amex, Deutsche bank and Citi bank Diners club.
6. Taj SATS, a joint venture with Singapore Airport Terminal Services, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, is tipped to be the largest airline catering service in South Asia.
7. Taj chose the versatile musician/Santoor player Rahul Sharma as their brand ambassador.