– is a popular Irish dry stout that originated in a brewery at St. James’s Gate, Dublin. A distinctive feature is the burnt flavour which is derived from the use of roasted unmalted barley.
Founder(s): Arthur Guinness
Arthur Guinness started brewing ales from 1759 at the St. James’s Gate Brewery, Dublin. On 31 December he signed (up to) a 9,000 year lease at £45 per annum for the unused brewery. Ten years later on 19 May 1769 Arthur exported his ale for the first time, when six and a half barrels were shipped to England. Arthur started selling the dark beer porter in 1778. The first Guinness beers to use the term were Single Stout and Double Stout in the 1840s
- Guinness is sometimes believed to have invented stout, however the first known use of the word stout in relation to beer appears in a letter in the Egerton Manuscript dated 1677.
- Arthur started selling the dark beer porter in 1778. The first beers to use the term were Single Stout and Double Stout in the 1840s
- The brewery hired the statistician William Sealy Gosset in 1899, who achieved lasting fame under the pseudonym “Student” for techniques developed for the company, particularly Student’s t-distribution and the even more commonly known Student’s t-test
- They has also been referred to as “the black stuff” and as a “Pint of Plain” – referred to in the famous refrain of Flann O’Brien’s poem “The Workman’s Friend”: “A pint of plain is your only man.”
- The company acquired the Distillers Company in 1986
- They then merged with Grand Metropolitan in 1997 to form Diageo PLC
- Guinnes’ famed stout is made from water, barley, hops, and brewer’s yeast, and is treated with isinglass finings made from fishes’ air bladders
- Guinness uses the harp of Brian Boru as its trademark. This harp, dating from the 14th or 15th century, which is on view at Trinity College, Dublin, has been a symbol of Ireland since the reign of Henry VIII (16th century)
- The Guinness Book of World Records is named after this very company!!