What is Wal-mart: Is an American multinational retail conglomerate that runs chains of large discount departmental stores, supermarkets and warehouse stores.
NYSE Ticker: WMT
Subsidiaries & Brands: Walmex (Mexico), Asda (U.K), Massmart (Africa), Sam’s Club(North America, Canada), Seiyu Group(Japan)
Sam Walton founded Wal-mart in the year 1962 after studying about discount retailing and went public for trading in 1972.
Walton opened its first Discount City store at 719 Walnut Ave. in Rogers, Arkansas. Entered Fortune 500 in the year 2002
1) Their initial logo was a hyphenated name with a star and then unveiled a new logo featuring the non-hyphenated name “Walmart” and a symbol resembling a sunburst or flower.
2) Change in their slogan to “Save Money Live Better,” replacing the “Always Low Prices, Always” slogan is one of its recent initiatives.
3) They currently has 8,500 stores in 15 countries, under 55 different names making it the largest retailing corp.
4) A joint venture with Bharti Enterprises lead by Sunil Mittal have been signed to open its retail stores in India.
5) Equate is the brand name for consumable pharmacy, health & cosmetics items, such as shaving cream, skin lotion, over-the-counter medications, and pregnancy tests while Ol’ Roy is their store brand of dog food.
6) Other in-house brands include, White Stag for Women’s clothing, footwear; George for formal wear; Canopy; @the office…
7) In association with Procter and Gamble, they have produced family movies such as Secrets of the Mountain and The Jensen Project and featured characters using products from both the companies.
Famous Ad Campaign:
All Walmart’s ad campaign bears the message “Low Prices. Every Day. On Everything” One such ad is the clown commercial