What is Adidas: Adidas is a sports apparel manufacturer based out of Germany. Adidas also produces products like shirts, watches, eye gear, bags and other sports and clothing-related merchandise.
FWB Ticker: ADS
Subsidiaries: Reebok, Rockport, Ashworth golf co., Salomon-AG.
History: Adidas was founded in 1924 by bothers Adolf ‘Adi’ Dassler. His brother,Rudolph later joined the business. The company was first named ‘Dassler shoes’ and later named Adidas after the split. ‘Horst Dassler’ took over the company from 1978.
1. Did you know? After the brothers Adolph and Rudolph split, Rudolph ‘Rudi’ Dassler went on to start leading shoe maker PUMA.
2. The 3 parallel bars in the Adidas logo were created to keep the foot stable, however ended up being the logo and the name is actually a portmanteau formed from “Adi” (a nickname for Adolf) and “Das” (from “Dassler”).
3. The brand is further divided into 3 trademark ranges- Adidas Performance, Adidas Originals, and Style Essentials.
4. “Impossible is Nothing” is the current mainstream marketing slogan for Adidas.
5. Adidas took over ‘Reebok’ in January 2006 and acquisition allowed Adidas to compete with its American rival ‘Nike’ by bringing the business sales closer.
6. Sachin Tendulkar being the brand ambassador, Adidas ushered a cricket bat, ‘Adidas Master Blaster’, personalized for him.
7. The logo of Adidas is called Trefoil
8. Adidas acquired Salomon group in 1997, specialized in skiwear and functioned as ‘Adidas Salomon AG’. The logo incorporated three shapes to look like a diamond.
Famous Ad Campaign:
The “All Adidas” ad campaign is tipped to be the largest campaign ever. created by Montreal agency Sid Lee.