Brand Owner: Philip Morris (Altria) (which later bought Kraft Foods too)
What is Marlboro: It is the largest selling brand of cigarettes in the world. Made by Philip Morris USA (a branch of Altria) within the US, and by Philip Morris International (now separate from Altria) outside the US. The brands is famous for its billboard advertisements and magazine ads.
Brand Name: The brand is named after Great Marlborough Street, the location of its original London factory. Richmond, Virginia is now the location of their largest cigarette manufacturing plant.
Philip Morris launched the brand in 1924 as a woman’s cigarette, based on the slogan “Mild As May”.
1) Was launched as a woman’s cigarette
2) Their earlier marketing campaign was so woman-centric that the filter had a printed red band around it to hide lipstick stains, calling it “Beauty Tips to Keep the Paper from Your Lips”
3) In the 1950s after a report linked lung cancer with smoking , Philip Morris repositioned the cigarette as a man’s brand.
4) The repositioning of Marlboro as a men’s cigarette was handled by advertiser Leo Burnett.
5) Leo Burnett conceived the Marlboro Man in 1954. The image involves a rugged cowboy or cowboys, in nature with only a cigarette.
6) William Thourlby is believed to have been the first Marlboro-Man
7) Three men who appeared in these advertisements – Wayne McLaren, David McLean and Dick Hammer – died of lung cancer, thus earning these cigarettes, specifically the Reds, the nickname “Cowboy killers”
8) A movie was created in 1991 called Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
9) James Blake Miller an American Iraq War veteran, served in the United States Marine Corps and was dubbed “The Marlboro Marine“, after an iconic, close-up photograph of his dirt-smeared, battle-weary face, with a cigarette planted in his mouth, was published on the front page of more than 150 American newspapers in 2004
Marlboro is one of the most recognized brands in the world