For Tata Crucible Corporate 2008 Edition, click here
For past editions click here
Tata Crucible 2008- Bangalore Edition
31 August 2008
After shifting from different mathematical models (read pyramids, nanofication etc), Crucible settles down on the more sedate business quizzing rounds.
A straight forward 25 question prelim followed by 5 conventional quizzing rounds in both the tracks.
Bangalore was undoubtedly the city which was to set standards and boy did it!!
In the Tata Track, possibly one of the first times when the stage had no TCS representation and was dominated by Titan.
In the non-Tata, some big names missing out. What was surprising to see, was the number of hardcore general quizzers who made it to the Non-Tata track
No more critic views (i dont intend to be skeptical ever 😉 ), getting to what people love the most, prelims and finalists.
Find the prelims questions and answers here (if u wanan give the prelims a shot, scroll down for only the questions)
Titan- Gaurav Kara + Yashwant Kumar
Tata Elxsi- Ajay Rao + Nagaraj Keshavmurthy
Titan – Shivaram (defending Blore Tata champion) + Lakshana
Titan- Tathagata Mukherjee + Harish Bhat
Tata Tea- Smitha + Ashok
Titan- Aditya Kejriwal + Sunil
Tata Elxsi were phlegmatic and won the quiz in style with 55 points and a neat 25 point lead over runners up Titan ( Harish Bhat + TG)
Hey, Ajay!! All the best mate! Bring the cup home 🙂
Some good final questions from Tata Track
What is bacon mail?
Beautiful hollow by the broadway?
Seacode Inc did wat to overcome visa regulations?
Non Tata Track
ITC Ltd- Anindya Sen + Tanmay Prusty
Ray & Keshavan – Arvind Hegde + Aditya Jalan
National Instruments – Abhishek Nag + Sheetendra Bhattacharya (NPSIte 🙂 )
Yahoo! – Ajay Kasargod + Tejaswi Udupa
Onmobile- Rajesh Mohan + Nikhil Narayan
Oracle- Anantharam Vaidyanath + Rohan Balakrishnan
5 simple rounds
Business Horizons- Some good dry questions
Nano games- Tata questions on the buzzer
Lateral Thoughts- ‘Pickbrain round’
Yahoo! Gave some fantastic answers and were in the lead for most of the quiz but they ended up getting too careful and calculative towards the end which let ITC take the last round by storm scoring 30 points out of a maximum 45!
Great way to spend a Sunday evening. Kudos to the 200 + teams and a good prelim from the research team!
Prelims questions inline, answers available here
Prelims (Answers here)
1) Which international voluntary organization was founded by the present French minister for foreign affairs Bernard Kouchner?
Ans: Doctors without Borders
2) Which Indian was the richest man in the world in 1937 and appeared on the cover of Time magazine?
Ans: Nizam of Hyderabad
3) Ad Campaign
4) Which legendary CEO owns a restaurant chain called Koo Koo Roo?
Ans: Lee Iacocca
5) Which television personality who in his early career did commercials for Doritos brand of chips is an automobile collector and writes a column in Popular Mechanics?
Ans: Jay Leno
6) ALFA Passenger, a new diesel powered three wheeler is by which company?
Ans: M & M
7) Which brand (foods) was sold by Marico to Good Food group of Denmark?
Ans: Sil Jam
8) Which auto major launched S80 sedan and XC90 SUV in the Indian market?
9) Hello Money, an innovative mobile banking service was launched and promises to take convenience to a new level. Which bank has introduced this concept?
Ans: Barclays Bank
10) Accor, is in talks to create neighbourhood hotels under the naem Formulae-1 with which Indian group, famous in the retail space?
Ans: A V Birla Group
Ans: M Damodaran
12) Which is the first train to be branded as ‘Airtel Rajdhani Express’? (i.e which city to Delhi)
13) Tara International, an affiliate of Bengal Enamel has planned Tiny and Titu. What are they?
Ans: Less than 1 lakh (Electric) cars
14) In the mid 40s I signed on for the Blue Books three month modelling course and was hired by Holga Steel (for some host party i think). Who am I?
Ans: Marilyn Monroe
15) Which Public-Private enterprise would the person in picture head (pic of Albert Bruener)?
Ans: Bangalore International Airport Limited
16) Which Indian fashion designers said ‘We dont make garments, we make heirlooms’?
Ans: Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla
17) Which Hollywood superstar owns a production house ‘play tone’?
Ans: Tom Hanks
18) Which Indian was elected to the board of aviation giant American Airlines?
Ans: Rajat Gupta
19) Which management guru explained synergy as 2 + 2 = 5?
Ans: Igor Ansoff
20) Which media conglomerate did Lowry Mays and Red McCombs found in 1972 and focuses only on radio?
Ans: Clear Channel Communications
21) Established by a British gentleman whose name it took in the year 1908. It was later managed by Dr M.N Mahadevan in 1955 . Which Bangalore ‘landmark’?
Ans: Cash Pharmacy
22) Which Indian film director , who owns ‘Sahyadri Films’ once worked as an ad executive at Lintas?
Ans: Shyam Benegal
23) Which apparel compnay has a CSR initiative ‘Being Family’ that it has trademarked to help families who adopt children?
24) Video ad- Bacardi
25) Video ad- Cisco
Quiz Blog- http://rohitnair.wordpress.com